Mount Zion High School
2017-2018 Cheerleading Tryout Packet
Thank you for your interest in trying out for cheerleading. In this packet, you will find the following tryout information and the 2017-2018 Rules for Cheerleading. Please read and understand all the enclosed information before tryouts.
Cheerleading Tryout Dates:
- Cheer Tryout Practices will be held on Monday-Wednesday, March 27th – 29th from 4:30 until 6:00. Tryout material will be taught during this time. You must attend cheer tryout practice to be able to tryout on the final day (Packets will be given out in the weeks before tryouts and must be submitted prior to tryouts, as well as a $25 tryout fee).
- Try-outs will be held on Thursday, March 30th, from 4:30 – 6:00. All tryouts will be closed to any parents or spectators.
To be eligible in the fall/spring of 2017-2018 for cheerleading, a student must have:
- A completed physical form, concussion form, and all paperwork turned in on time
- Achieved a 2.0 grade point average for the 2016-2017 school year for the first semester grading period
- Have failed no more than two classes in the previous semester
The following MUST BE turned in BEFORE you can participate in tryout practices and/or tryouts.
- Completed Information Sheet
- Completed permission slip and signature statement sheet signed by both parent and participant
- Completed physical form (please call early for appointment, form is in this packet for doctor to fill out)
- Completed Concussion form
- All teacher recommendation sheets
- A $25 non-refundable tryout fee.
Note: The deadline for turning in ALL paperwork is no later than Monday, March 27th at the beginning of tryouts. THERE WILL NOT BE ANY EXCEPTIONS MADE. IF PAPERWORK ISN’T TURNED IN ON TIME, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRYOUT.
Selection of the cheerleaders will be based on the following:
- A cheer and dance that will be taught to the participants during the tryout practices
- Jumps- a toe touch (required) and then choice of second jump
- Scholastic achievement and eligibility
- Conduct during tryout practices and tryouts
- Attitude, initiative, teamwork, leadership, work ethic, enthusiasm, and coach ability during tryout practices & tryouts
What do you wear to tryouts?
- During tryout practice days please wear comfortable, length appropriate shorts, and a t-shirt. Dress as if you would dress for cheerleading practice. Sports bras must be worn. Your hair should also be off your shoulders (put up).
- On official try-out day your hair should be off your shoulders, and no jewelry should be worn or artificial nails. All participants are to tryout in white shirts and black bottoms.
- Please do not wear any previous cheerleading or dance attire during tryout practices.
For those who make the squad:
- There will be a mandatory parent meeting Tuesday, April 11 at 5:00pm. Please mark your calendar.
- A minimum deposit of $150 (cash) for cheer gear must be made at the meeting
- Approximate cost is $710 for new cheerleaders and $475 for returning cheerleaders
- The first payment of $150 (minimum) will be due at the parent meeting on April 11.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Morris email@example.com
or Ms. Hyland firstname.lastname@example.org
Approved: ___________________________ & ___________________________